Monday, April 18, 2011

Reconditioning Old Tools

I spent a good portion of yesterday reconditioning an old miter saw, with my husband's help.

Wait!  What does that have to do with gardening?

Well I don't want to leave all the cutting for the potting bench  to my husband, so I thought I could try doing some of the smaller cuts.  A couple years ago I bought a Millers Falls Langdon 1124 miter box and saw at a yard sale for Tim.  Well, I've appropriated the box. Iit's probably the safest way for me to cut wood, since there are guides and no electricity involved.

The saw was covered in rust, and Tim was kind enough to buff it out.  He showed me how to do it, and I tried, but my angle was not ideal, so he did it for me, and it only took him a few minutes.  Then he buffed in a penetrating wax to help prevent future rust.

The saw handle was also in pretty bad shape.  I spent some time sanding off the first layer of gunk last night.  More sanding will be done today and tomorrow.  I should have taken before pictures, but I'm not that clever.

The miter box itself also needed a good bit of TLC.  I scraped the glue off the surface, and sanded everything lightly.  I also disassembled the guides and cleaned them out.  It's amazing how much gunk there is when sawdust and grease get together.  Then, I waxed all the surfaces I cleaned.  The box really needs to be fully disassembled cleaned and rebuilt, but it's good enough for now.  I found a .pdf of the manual for the box earlier today, so when the potting bench is done, it may get the full treatment, since I have instructions now on how to reassemble it correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment